Hey, between now and November 19, 2021, if you purchase any of our eBundles, courses, or coaching programs on Content Marketing Musician (created specifically to help you get results in your music career), we're giving 50% of the proceeds to supporting the education of underprivileged children in South America. You can learn more here.
Now let's get back to the article.
Do you enjoy setting goals?
I know I don’t.
It probably has something to do with the fact that I often didn’t achieve what I wanted to achieve or the fact that it took so much effort to set goals that were SMART, SMARTER, or whatever method you subscribe to.
It’s not as though I didn’t achieve anything by setting goals.
Certainly, I was better off for having set goals than not.
But I found I just wasn’t getting what I wanted to get out of it.
I would easily get derailed.
And, my confidence kept plummeting with every missed goal.
I also had mental blocks that prevented me from getting to where I wanted to go.
But goal-setting isn’t bad.
And, it needs to be done.
Let’s Get Clear on What’s NOT Working
Before I get to the solution, let me tell you where you won’t find the solution:
In your own head.
It’s easier than ever to get stuck in your own mind (because of social media, smartphones and so forth), and that’s truly the last place you want to look.
Your brain has gotten you to where you are, and it’s not capable of taking you where you haven’t been.Your brain has gotten you to where you are, and it’s not capable of taking you where you haven’t been. Click To Tweet
I’m not suggesting you can’t change.
But unless we’re talking about breakthrough results, I’m not interested.
1) Setting more goals isn’t going to do it.
You’re going to end up spreading yourself too thin.
2) Setting better goals is futile.
It will only give you marginal improvement on your past attempts.
3) Setting different goals is ineffective.
You’re probably just going to end up going off course when you need to stay focused, as I’ve done so many times before.
So, What’s the Solution?
Here’s how you’re going to set ironclad goals you actually follow through on and achieve in 2020 and beyond:
You’re going to join a mastermind group.
What is a mastermind?
It’s a group of people that get together to discuss challenges and obstacles in their business weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly.
I would suggest joining a group of people who are ambitious and care about achieving their own goals.
If they care about achieving their own goals, chances are they’ll care about helping you achieve your goals too.
Your group can be made up entirely of musicians who want to take their career somewhere.
If you want, you could join a mastermind with YouTubers, business owners or freelancers.
Why do I say this is how you’re going to set ironclad goals for 2020?
Because it’s exactly how I did it.
Yes, I have ironclad goals for 2020.
Here’s a photo from a recent mastermind retreat I went to in Silverthorne, CO:
For two whole days (four days total), we all sat down to flesh out our goals for 2020.
Then we poked holes in each other’s goals.
After that, we each reflected on what we needed to change.
Then, we set our goals once more.
We all tore each other’s goals down one last time.
Then, after our final revisions, we all had goals we were completely happy with.
And, because of this, I’m convinced we’re all going to have an amazing 2020.
Truly, it will be our best year ever.
That’s why you need to get into a mastermind.
You can hear me talk more about the power of mastermind groups (from 07:25) in an interview I recently gave with Robonzo from The Unstarving Musician:
Put it on Overdrive
Now that we’re clear on the value of mastermind groups, I want to be honest with you…
- It might take a while for you to set up or find a mastermind (it usually does).
- And, it’s going to take a while to get to know and trust the people in your mastermind (it’s natural).
- Devastatingly, there’s a chance you’ll read this and not take ANY action (DON’T DO THAT!).
- Finally, the mastermind might not be enough – even with the accountability that comes from people who are on a similar path, it’s up to you to produce the results you want to produce in your life.
If you don’t act, nothing happens.
So, it’s time to invest in yourself.
If you’re afraid to invest in yourself, then consider this:
The cost of putting off your growth will be much higher than the price you’re going to pay for your education now!
And, it just so happens that I have a low-cost solution.
It’s called Start Your Year the Right Way.
If you don’t already have this workbook, you’re missing out!
You need this book if you intend to make 2020 the best year possible.
It will help you set goals, plan your year, discard your baggage from the past, find inspiration for the year ahead and more.
You can’t afford to miss out on this valuable resource.
The book only costs $15.
And, it will only cost $15 forever.
This is not a limited time offer.
But that doesn’t mean you should put it off another day.
You’ve got to act now.
And, since you’re on Music Entrepreneur HQ, I would expect you to act now.
Get a head start on 2020 by adding this book to your library.
It will make a difference for you.
Start your order by clicking on the image:
Summary of Key Resources
- You can learn more about goal-setting in this blog post.
- Check out this podcast episode on joining a mastermind group. I offer several tips on how to get started.
- You can also hear me talk about the power of mastermind groups in my interview with The Unstarving Musician.
- The Start Your Year the Right Way workbook is exactly the resource you need to get 2020 off to a great start. Learn more HERE.
- Wolf (The Original Creative) Shares Why Digital Advertising is Critical for Artists Frustrated with Organic Reach - September 21, 2021
- Elite Players: All Access Pass Update – September 17, 2021 - September 17, 2021
- 245 – Is Organic Reach Dead? - September 16, 2021