Your truck breaks down. You break up with your girlfriend. Your dog goes missing. You drop your bowling ball on your toe. Your fishing hook gets caught on your vest.
Lyrics to a country song? Well, maybe…
But the reality is, even the best laid plans, even music careers that appear to be all “mapped out,” still swing headlong into potholes and shuffle into figurative landmines in 12/8 time along the way.
(And mixed metaphors fall apart like ceramic dinnerware falling from the granite counter and smashing on the hardwood floor.)
You can’t control people, events, and circumstances. What you can control is what you think, how you feel, and what you make it all mean. Because “bad” people, events, and circumstances don’t necessarily mean anything you think they mean. They’re not even necessarily bad! Superstition is overrated.
So, what do you do when you’ve got the music career blues? In this episode of The New Music Industry Podcast, David shares a recent “deep, dark night of the soul” and what he learned from the experience.
- 00:17 – Encounters with resistance
- 00:52 – What do you do when challenges show up?
- 01:24 – Why consistency matters
- 02:10 – David’s long, dark night of the soul
- 06:18 – First step to easing into the resistance
- 07:16 – Second step to easing into the resistance
- 07:56 – There’s always something waiting on the other side
- PDF Vault: Sign up to receive my free music marketing newsletter and get access to the PDF Vault for free – filled to the brim with eBooks, cheat sheets, podcast transcripts, and other goodies to take your music career beyond.
- The Music Entrepreneur Companion Guide: Pre-order the official and definitive companion guide to The Music Entrepreneur Code covering, in clarity and detail, secrets to making it in the new music business.
- The Music Entrepreneur Code – 2022 Edition: The latest edition of The Music Entrepreneur Code, now with more ninja. This book features my personal story of failure and success, case studies, examples, insights, and more. Get paid for your passion and impact more fans without wasting thousands of dollars and years of your life.